Eating Healthy While Traveling
Believe it or not, I get excited to travel just to keep it simple to eat and exercise healthy. I hear all the time that people gain weight from a trip. This is the way I look at it……. when traveling, there are many options, and plenty of options that are healthy and already prepared and ready to order up! My son and I had a recent trip to East Coast…Boston for a computer convention my son wanted to attend… Has anyone every flown Virgin? They make it easy to order up anytime during flight from the touch screen… So sleek.
My 7 Top Tips While Traveling
- Pre flight meal. When waiting for the flight, if it is meal time, I will eat at a sit down place if time permits and order a meal with protein and veggies and a tall glass of water.
- Bring or buy healthy snacks. I also either bring or buy at the airport the nut bars, all raw and loaded with protein and nutrients, jerky, etc…. Most airports are now carrying green drinks you can buy at the Starbucks or airport market/store.
- Drinks on plane. I order free drinks, water, tomato juice, and tea with cream. I skip alcohol since it dehydrates. And drink tons of water. Keeping hydrated is key while traveling. Maybe I will have a glass of red wine, depends on my mood. But I am sure to drink an extra two glasses of water for that one glass of wine.
- Eating on plane. I skip the free pretzels and order the food they have that is in my diet…if I am still hungry. On Virgin trip I ordered turkey jerky and a salad with chicken.
- Track down local health food market & juice bar when you arrive. I buy my tea, cream, fruit, some 500ml Fiji waters to provide my daily water. Depending on where we are staying if there is a kitchen or not, I might buy some eggs, and a few things to cook…
- Eating out. When eating out, you have an entire menu to choose from, stick to the items that stay on your way of eating and fill up on it… It is easy! So many meals are made for you when traveling and just as easy to select what is going to make you ultimately feel good then not.. Come travel with me, I will show you!
- Pack your workout clothes. No matter what kind of trip, always good to have a workout outfit… Hotels have gyms, if you have your laptop, on-line workouts (which I am into right now).. On our Boston trip, we did an in-house yoga class. Just to be clear, my son did not do that class with us. He would not have like it. ha ha ha!!!
Another exercise we got a lot of was walking, we must have walked 30 miles over the 3 days at The Boston Convention Center!!! It was HUGE! My son and I slept like 18 hours our first night back.. Not only did we walk the gigantic convention center that looks like Star Trek, we walked a ton around town, our friends from the east coast showed us all around Boston, Cambridge and Cohasset where we stayed with them. A great trip with great friends, and a memory I hope my son will always cherish, I know I will.
Hanging in Boston, no that is not a shopping bag, it is a bag filled with my son’s computer convention stuff he had me hold like a mule following him around… I tried to shop, but Brandon had no patience, typical guy! And that is Brandon, my son going down escalator into his heaven. The only thing that would have been perfect is if he had a buddy with him.. next time. I am not sure his mom as his mule was his number one choice, but he knows I loves him and that is all that matters.
What are some of your traveling tricks and tips for staying rested and with good nutrition?
Leave a Reply