Between working at home and homeschooling my kids, we spend a lot of time hanging out at home, and homes can be one of the most toxic places! I use to always keep windows shut, use toxic air fresheners and other toxic house hold products that contributed to bad air quality… It is amazing what a difference a few SIMPLE changes has made in the air quality that has created an oasis relaxing type environment in our home. I am SOOOOOO EXCITED to SHARE these tips with you!
6 EASY Steps to Make the AIR Healthier in Your Home
- Increase ventilation: Opening windows throughout your home flows a breeze through your home and increases ventilation tremendously, really makes a difference!
- Indoor Air Filters: According to the Environmental Protection Agency, indoor air pollutants rate among the top five environmental health risks today. Home insulation and air-tight construction contribute to poor indoor air quality. You need to either allow clean exterior air to flow into your home ventilating it and/or use an air cleaning filter system that removes indoor pollutants… I DO BOTH! You can buy HEPA filters for your air conditioner and/or buy air filter units… I looked into several units and settled on these two indoor units, one for my larger great room area, HM 400 HealthMate Air Purifier, and this one, GermGuardian 3 in 1 HEPA, for my son’s room because he pursues digital animation and has an entire set up of computers, a sound system and electronics to master his craft, so I surround him with a few different types of air quality improving devices, this is one of them.
- Eliminate the Source: The three areas I focused on for safer air quality in product change was laundry products, dishwashing products and air fresheners, what I had read about the major pollutants and toxic chemicals that permeate the air from these three sources was enough to freak me out! And I was HAPPY to make the switch.. Here is an article from Mother Earth Living on toxic laundry rooms, I tried several products, the ones I settled on and have the best results so far are these: For my laundry products, I LOVE my lavender dryer sheets….Meyer’s Clean Day Dryer Sheets, Lavender, laundry soap, 2X HE Ultra Liquid Detergent. For my kitchen, the dishwasher detergent is one of the MOST TOXIC pollutants permeating your kitchen especially when you open the hot dishwasher and the steam that comes out with the toxic fumes from the detergent, it is really BAD! This is one to switch immediately.. and this one was the hardest for me to find a product that actually cleaned my dishes and DID not leave SCUM on them! I happily settled on ECOVER Automatic Dishwasher Tablets, this product is really superior over the other more natural detergents… and the ratings on line reveal this superiority as well.., and lastly for my AIR Freshening I use to use glade candles and plug ins and fabreeze oh gads!!! All of those are BAD!!!!!!!!! There are numerous articles about how toxic these are… The BEST way to permeate your home with fresh healthy scents is with essential oils, you can buy them in beeswax candles, coconut wax candles both safe and/or a diffuser that emits moisture which you can put a few drops of your high quality essential oils in… This one is GREAT, SpaRoom Ultramist Ceramic Diffusing Mister! Make sure you buy essential oils that are a high grade, pure organic, not all essentials oils are created equal.. In the health blogging world, DoTerra is liked… also buying them from Mountain Rose Herbs is a really GOOD on line company, I buy mine from them, I LOVE lavender and rosemary, my two favorite to diffuse in my diffuser.
- Negative IONs: What are negative ION’s, well nature gives off negative ION’s, which cleans the air and gives us a good well being feeling. Computers, cell phones, TV’s electronics, etc…. give off positive ION’s… Too many positive IONs is not good… I feed my home with Healthy negative ION’s two ways, one with Salt lamps, these are FABULOUS! They make a great night light in all of our bedrooms and add beauty in my main great room area. And the NatureBright SunTouch Plus Light and Ion Therapy Lamp is great for our computer work areas to shine directly on us, I bought a few of these lamps to set up at my son’s and my computer work stations since we both edit on our computers on a regular basis, . When my son and I were up in Seattle last month while my son was interning with two Academy Award Winning Animators for King Kong and Happy Feet at their newly launched motion capture studio, www.mocapnow.com, they recommended this ION therapy lamp.. I guess a lot of professional animators use it because they are indoors for hours daily on the computers and it helps keep their internal clock balanced. Negative ION therapy leaves you feeling rested and uplifted, a natural anti depressant.
- House Plants: I can’t tell you how much beauty adding a few house plants to my home this year has made. I selected specifically plants that were highly rated to clean air and are safe for kids and animals. These are the plants I selected: Dracena, Bromeliads, Christmas Cactus, Aloe Vera and Snake Plant. Here are a few photos of some of the ones I have in my home.Wellnessmama, is a blogger I follow who is well researched and I just printed out her recommended safe house plant list and went to my local nursery and looked at all the plants and made my selection.. Simple as that. If you want to read more thoroughly exactly what pollutants these plants filter out of the air, wellnessmama’s post on how to filter indoor air with house plants is a good read.
I feel so good about the air in my home now! Being home is relaxing, the few other things that just add a serene touch are my chrome wind chimes that make such a beautiful sound and a water feature where I can hear the sound of water, like a babbling brook. They say wind chimes omit a high vibration, same vibration the angles are… as a single mom, I am the head of my home and my home is blessed by my Lord, Jesus Christ.. so my wind chimes make me smile as I know the angles are around us.
All my product recommendations you can find on one consolidated page, my Marketplace page
Have you already tried any of these techniques? Do you have favorite natural cleaning products or natural candles or anything else that pertains to this post? I love to learn from my readers also!
Leave a Reply